I’ve been up to so much lately, working, (binging TV shows on Netflix) and planning last-minute details for my upcoming trip to Greece with the bf. I am beyond excited as it’s a dream come true for me. I’ve been daydreaming about visiting Greece since I was about 12 or 13.
After years of dreaming and postponing, I decided to finally make it happen. My boyfriend and I saved up for a few months, set the time aside and after all this anticipation, we are nearly off!! We will be island hopping, staying in a mix of hotels and Airbnbs. From what I’ve researched, Greece is pretty vegan friendly. Lots of fresh vegetables, salads, fruits, hummus, falafel etc. So I’m not too worried about going hungry! I’m also going to take lots of pictures and put together a guide for eating vegan in Greece based on my experiences.
But in the midst of all this planning, I’ve also been cooking up (and eating) a storm. The best of the bunch has been these vegan blueberry banana muffins that came out super fluffy, tasty and are filled with fresh blueberries that turn gooey as you bake them, exploding like candy in your mouth.
This recipe only calls for half a cup of sugar but the sweetness in the banana more than makes up for it. I don’t like things too sweet to be honest, and I can fool myself into thinking these are healthy because there’s not a ton of sugar in there, right? Also, the mashed banana replaces the need for oil, another win. Even without oil, these muffins came out moist (how much did that word make you cringe?) – not dry at all.
These muffins are perfect for breakfast or a quick snack.
I hope you give this recipe a try. If you do, please let me know how they turn out. This is definitely going to be my go-to muffin recipe from now on. Next time I will try them with nuts and shredded carrots. Nom, nom, nom.
Easy Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- half cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- half a cup of sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare flax egg. (Mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed with three tablespoons of water. Mix and set aside until it congeals, about ten minutes.)
- Peel banana. In a small bowl, mash it with a fork until it resembles pudding and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and then add flax egg and wet ingredients. Mix well to combine with a spoon, but do not over mix. Fold in blueberries.
- Line muffin tin with nine paper cups and fill each one. If you have remaining cups, fill them with one or two tablespoons of water to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until tops are brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.